Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Using technology in a science classroom

After reading this blog on www.nms.org about using technology with students in a math and science classroom, I really liked the arguments they used to justify the means. They started with the fact that students tend to be focused for longer periods of time when using technology.  I also liked the idea that technology helps build engaging lessons but also allows students to go at his/her own pace.
At the bottom of the article I read a quote that really stuck with me.  It was,"Education is no longer memorizing facts on paper; it's engaging with students through technology." As a science teacher, I remember most of my classes when I was in school I would just try to memorize the information to just get through the test. After the test, I could barely remember anything from the unit. Now as the teacher, I am trying to use my own errors and find ways to get my students to actually understand the unit and not just rely on memorization.  I think finding ways to incorporate technology can be the way to accomplish these goals.
The article was - Technology in the Classroom: The Benefits of Blended Learning

http://www.nms.org/Blog/TabId/58/PostId/188/technology-in-the-classroom-the-benefits-of-b

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Matthew! I keep trying to use technology in the classroom but get extremely frustrated when it takes 10 minutes to log in to Google and 30 minutes to do a 5 minute activity. I hope someday that the activities I want to do won't take all period to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach with one to one technology so I use it everyday in my class. I really love the quote you used about the way education is changing. Some teachers at my school don't like using the technology, even though we all have it, and I think its important that they do use it. We want to make sure we educate these students for the world they will live in, even if it means changing the world of education.

    ReplyDelete