Saturday, July 4, 2015

My ideas on my Podcasting abilities

After reading a few articles and the chapter from the textbook for our class on the topic of Podcasting I feel that I am going to really work on the following areas.  In all of the resources it states that an early mistake in podcasting is not targeting the right audience.  For my podcast, I am planning on targeting people interested in the sciences and more importantly people who are interested in current sciences.  My idea for my podcast will be to highlight a few topics in science from the past week.  I am thinking of calling in "Sunday Morning Sciences" and my plan would be to talk about current events in the science fields for the past week.
Another factor that was mentioned a lot was the length of the podcast.  It discussed how to short of a podcast could be an issue in getting a good following, but to long and the interest in the people cod be lost.  I would like to try to keep my podcasts to around 30 minutes so that it is long enough to gain some valuable information, but not to long where some may not want to listen to it.  I think in the 30 minutes I will be able to have an introduction and then discuss either three or four new topics dealing with current events in science.
Along with length of time, it also was brought to my attention on the fact that people like to really feel like they learned something from the podcast. I think that with three or four topics, I will be as to go into enough depth so that the listeners will feel that they gained some valuable knowledge from listening to the podcast.  A good podcast goes into depth on the selected topics and gives the listeners a chance to gain knowledge from listening and this is what my plan is to do.
I also agree with the readings in the aspect that not using the proper equipment can cause for an unpleasant experience trying to listen to the podcast.  As a beginner, I am goi g to use the audacity program along with an USB connected microphone.  If the quality still doesn't sound good, then I will look into finding a better set-up because I feel the sound is the most important step to gaining a following and producing good podcasts.
After the production and editing has taken place, I think finding the proper place to host the podcast will be very important as well.  I really like the idea of making the podcast easily accessible and then it will come down to advertising it through the various social medias like the ones we are currently using right now.  I plan to get my podcast out there through my Twitter account as well as the blog site.
The following article is on of the articles that I used as a reference when creating my podcast.  "Are you making these 10 mistakes with your podcast?"
http://www.inboundpro.net/making-mistakes-podcasting/



3 comments:

  1. I did the same as far as USB mic and Audacity and I think the sound came out pretty nicely. I also did some editing to cut out awkward pauses and umms as needed.

    I like the article you posted a lot -- some great tips in there. I did do a short podcast though, because of my audience, actually. My audience is online instructors and the one thing all the faculty I know have in common is a lack of time! So I envision my podcast series to be more of a "quick bites" type of thing.

    Your Sunday Morning Sciences podcast sounds really interesting. Would it be directed toward those who work in science professions or toward the layperson who has a general interest?

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, my initial idea is to try to incorporate current events in science into my high school science classes. I would like to create a wiki and even a podcast host site that the students and myself could publish science related current events. I would like to then try to find ways to relate some of these current events to the material that we would be covering at the time.
    Besides my classes, I also think the any one with interest in sciences would be able to be a part of the podcast experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the link to "Are you making these 10 mistakes with your podcast?" I have pinned it on my Pinterest and will refer to it when I attempt to have my students create a podcast or two in my math classes this year.

    ReplyDelete